Friday, December 29, 2017

Going vegetarian...

The preparation has begun for Vegetarian January. In less than 2 days I am forgoing meat for 1 whole month. Doesn't really sound like much and for those die-hard vegetarian folk out there I am sure it isn't.
But this month means cooking new dishes almost every night or I face the boring option of eating salad. Cooking I enjoy but when I go back to work the inspiration and ideas tend to go out the window when I get busy and we revert back to the protein (meat) and vegies.
So now I am prepped. I searched for inspiration on different vegetarian recipes that I can adapt to include meat for the others and that look really appetising. They have been saved to my Pinterest board here if you want to see what I have found.
This morning I got up early to go to the local markets and stock up on half my vegetable list and then I followed up with the supermarket to get the other items. I did have some lentils in the pantry but the mouse my cat let into our house (a whole other story) somehow managed to get to the third shelf and help himself to my legumes and pasta packets.
Just to start getting into the swing of things I whipped up a cauliflower curry with some items I had... the chickpeas I purchased today will be added to it to make it a bit more filling. That is Monday's dinner sorted!
To celebrate the last day of being a meat eater (for 1 month anyway) I am having roast lamb tomorrow night. It is my intention to enjoy every mouthful but to also remind myself that this is a new challenge and anything I usually set my mind to, I do it.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment